Tabitha Hurley, Chicago, IL, 773-744-3964
DePaul University, Chicago, IL
Masters of Arts in Journalism, June 2012
Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI
B. S. in Communication Studies and Sociology, December 2009
Writing and Reporting
Community based beat reporting focusing on Beverly on Chicago’s Southside
Used social media including HootSuite, Twitter, Storify, Facebook, WordPress to report on high gas prices and Andrew Huff, founder of Chicago based news site, Gapers Block
Used WordPress and Photoshop to report and blog on community based activities and events.
Produced, anchored, and worked as assignment editor on weekly video newscast.
Wrote feature and lifestyle stories, some published in The DePaulia, in topics of trend, fashion, profile, dining, and others
- Knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint — Abilities in both MAC and PC
- Soundslides, Garage Band, Google Mapping, and Mobile Podcasting
- Familiar with Adobe Creative Suite
Social Media Intern 2012
Building a Facebook and Twitter presence and also working to design and present a WordPress page for the replacement cleats business to keep up on company news and developments over the course of their summer tour and road show.
Newsroom Intern 2012
Research social media and websites for breaking celebrity news, set up teleprompter for multiple daily broadcasts, and logging video newsfeeds. Also help run Twitter, Facebook and contribute to building Pinterest presence.
The DePaulia, DePaul University 2012
Write weekly or bi-weekly feature and news stories that are published online and in the weekly newspaper. Contribute both photos and stories, mostly coming up with own ideas to write in any given section of the newspaper.
DePaul University Chapter-Society of Professional Journalists
Executive Board Secretary 2011-2012
Part of a seven-member student executive board that oversees daily operation of 59-member chapter. Assist in planning and executing chapter events, record keeping for executive board meetings and attend/participate in national and regional SPJ conventions.
- While on this board DePaul’s SPJ Chapter was named Outstanding Student Organization of DePaul, National SPJ Campus Chapter of the Year and Region 5 SPJ Campus Chapter of Year for 2011
Stock Manager 2010
- Promoted to manager of a 25-member impact team, which enabled the stock room to maintain the standards of the store as a whole.
Also worked part-time at Hollister Co. on weekends and holidays between 2004 and 2010
Western Michigan University, Independent Study, Fall 2009
- Conducted academic and scholarly research contributing towards the publication of a public speaking textbook.
- Transcribed interviews into spreadsheets.
- Performed a variety of tasks designed to improve the Survey and Experimental Research Lab.
Chicago Mercantile Exchange Technology Intern, Summer 2006
Duties included relaying accurate information between alternate departments, keeping daily logs and spreadsheets, repairing and updating computer systems.